Legacy Preparatory Academy putting on production of 'Sweeney Todd'
For the first time in Utah, "Sweeney Todd" will be performed at a high school level. Legacy Preparatory Academy in Woods Cross will put on the production, with performances scheduled inside the Jeanne Wagner Theatre at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center in Salt Lake City on Feb. 13-16 at 7:30 p.m.
This production will be performed with the high school version edits, meaning that although there will be violence, it will not be done to the extreme seen in the Broadway or film versions. The sexual content included in the original version will also be removed. Because of the content, this production is recommended for children ages 12 and older.
This year's musical was selected because of the difficult music arrangement and acting roles, according to a spokesman. The show will feature 19 actors ranging in age from 13 to 18. Several of the school's actors have gained previous acting experience by participating in the Broadway Next program, which included performances at the Gershwin Theater in New York City.
Legacy Preparatory Academy is a small charter school that has won several awards, including best musical, best actor and best supporting actor nominees in 2011, as well as best actress and best supporting actress nominees in 2012.
Tickets for the production may be purchased at Arttix.org.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19