Legacy Preparatory Academy putting on production of 'Sweeney Todd'
For the first time in Utah, "Sweeney Todd" will be performed at a high school level. Legacy Preparatory Academy in Woods Cross will put on the production, with performances scheduled inside the Jeanne Wagner Theatre at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center in Salt Lake City on Feb. 13-16 at 7:30 p.m.
This production will be performed with the high school version edits, meaning that although there will be violence, it will not be done to the extreme seen in the Broadway or film versions. The sexual content included in the original version will also be removed. Because of the content, this production is recommended for children ages 12 and older.
This year's musical was selected because of the difficult music arrangement and acting roles, according to a spokesman. The show will feature 19 actors ranging in age from 13 to 18. Several of the school's actors have gained previous acting experience by participating in the Broadway Next program, which included performances at the Gershwin Theater in New York City.
Legacy Preparatory Academy is a small charter school that has won several awards, including best musical, best actor and best supporting actor nominees in 2011, as well as best actress and best supporting actress nominees in 2012.
Tickets for the production may be purchased at Arttix.org.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 52
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 37
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 30
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 15
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 14
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13