For those who want to keep up with the latest trends and technology, don’t be afraid to play around, she said, adding that ongoing education is the key.
“You can’t break the Internet or this software,” Cooke said. “Let yourself fumble around. You’ll get it and realize how it’s an improvement. The payoff is worth it.”
To stay educated, find some voices or resources you trust that have their finger on the pulse and follow them. She likes Flipboard, an app that allows the user to add his or her favorite blogs, websites, etc., and easily follow what they report.
Donakey said there are a number of excellent blogs, and he recommended three that he reviews regularly.
Second, ancestryinsider.blogspot.com, which he said is the unofficial, unauthorized view of ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
Third, www.eogn.typepad.com — “Dick Eastman does a good job of keeping the community abreast with technology updates,” Donakey said in an email. “The key is to look at technology from the genealogist’s perspective to see how it can be used to capture, organize and preserve data, photographs and artifacts.”
Both Cooke and Donakey mentioned RootsTech, a family history and technology conference hosted by FamilySearch.org in Salt Lake City from March 21-23. The purpose of the conference is to provide the latest family history tools and skills while helping people connect with experts who can help them with their research.
“There is a lot of interest,” Donakey said. “Genealogy resonates to the heart for people.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- 'Meet the Mormons' now available for...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 136
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 16
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Who are ‘the least of... 4