For those who want to keep up with the latest trends and technology, don’t be afraid to play around, she said, adding that ongoing education is the key.
“You can’t break the Internet or this software,” Cooke said. “Let yourself fumble around. You’ll get it and realize how it’s an improvement. The payoff is worth it.”
To stay educated, find some voices or resources you trust that have their finger on the pulse and follow them. She likes Flipboard, an app that allows the user to add his or her favorite blogs, websites, etc., and easily follow what they report.
Donakey said there are a number of excellent blogs, and he recommended three that he reviews regularly.
Second, ancestryinsider.blogspot.com, which he said is the unofficial, unauthorized view of ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
Third, www.eogn.typepad.com — “Dick Eastman does a good job of keeping the community abreast with technology updates,” Donakey said in an email. “The key is to look at technology from the genealogist’s perspective to see how it can be used to capture, organize and preserve data, photographs and artifacts.”
Both Cooke and Donakey mentioned RootsTech, a family history and technology conference hosted by FamilySearch.org in Salt Lake City from March 21-23. The purpose of the conference is to provide the latest family history tools and skills while helping people connect with experts who can help them with their research.
“There is a lot of interest,” Donakey said. “Genealogy resonates to the heart for people.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with free...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 3
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 3
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 3