PROVO CANYON — The Utah County Sheriff’s Office is trying to track down two people who broke into a home in the Springdell neighborhood in Provo Canyon.
One of those intruders is believed to be a child.
The homeowner came home around 11:35 a.m. on Dec. 17 and found the burglars inside her house. She went after them, but they escaped through the back of the house.
“For somebody to go into a home where people are there or close to being there in the middle of the day, a little bit scary,” Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. “The woman was fortunate, I think, that they were more worried about getting away than they were about hurting somebody, so they took off with what they had.”
The two ran off with a high-end Nikon camera and jewelry worth more than $10,000.
One of the burglars is described as a man between 20 and 25 years old, about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a medium build, dark hair, dark complexion, unshaven with a scruffy appearance. He was wearing a brown and black coat, jeans and boots.
It’s the description of the second burglar that has law enforcement concerned. He’s described as a boy between 8 and 12 years old and shorter than average.
“For an adult to be involving with an apparent juvenile in something like that is a little disturbing,” Cannon said.
The juvenile was wearing a light-colored jacket, and a dark knit hat or hood and Nike “Shox Monster” shoes.
“We don’t know what the connection was between the two suspects, whether they were acquaintances, neighbors or if it was brothers. It didn’t look like it was probably father and son based on the age of the older suspect,” Cannon said.
The homeowner is offering a cash reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for this burglary. Anyone with information is asked to call detective Josh Chappell at 801-851-4013.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 22
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13