PROVO, Utah — BYU men's tennis player Patrick Kawka has earned his first West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Month award, the league announced Wednesday.
The junior from Nevada was recently named to the WCC 2013 Preseason All-Conference Team.
Kawka earned a 6-0 record in January, including a victory over No. 44 Winston Lin from Columbia 6-0, 6-4. His success helped BYU upset No. 50 South Florida and No. 44 Columbia.
He won two of his matches at the No. 1 singles position, and his other four wins came at the No. 2 spot.
Kawaka, along with doubles partner Francis Sargeant, also recorded a 5-1 mark throughout the month of January.
The Cougars begin conference play this week as they host No. 37 Santa Clara.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 22
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21