PROVO, Utah — BYU men's tennis player Patrick Kawka has earned his first West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Month award, the league announced Wednesday.
The junior from Nevada was recently named to the WCC 2013 Preseason All-Conference Team.
Kawka earned a 6-0 record in January, including a victory over No. 44 Winston Lin from Columbia 6-0, 6-4. His success helped BYU upset No. 50 South Florida and No. 44 Columbia.
He won two of his matches at the No. 1 singles position, and his other four wins came at the No. 2 spot.
Kawaka, along with doubles partner Francis Sargeant, also recorded a 5-1 mark throughout the month of January.
The Cougars begin conference play this week as they host No. 37 Santa Clara.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Gauging their market value: Jazz trade value...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25