PROVO, Utah — BYU men's tennis player Patrick Kawka has earned his first West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Month award, the league announced Wednesday.
The junior from Nevada was recently named to the WCC 2013 Preseason All-Conference Team.
Kawka earned a 6-0 record in January, including a victory over No. 44 Winston Lin from Columbia 6-0, 6-4. His success helped BYU upset No. 50 South Florida and No. 44 Columbia.
He won two of his matches at the No. 1 singles position, and his other four wins came at the No. 2 spot.
Kawaka, along with doubles partner Francis Sargeant, also recorded a 5-1 mark throughout the month of January.
The Cougars begin conference play this week as they host No. 37 Santa Clara.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34