Utah Utes basketball notebook: Runnin' Utes alter starting lineup in loss to Oregon State
Don Ryan, AP Photo
CORVALLIS, Ore. — For the first time this season, Jordan Loveridge and Glen Dean came off the bench for the Utah Utes. Dean had started in 21 consecutive games, while Loveridge made 20 straight starts before missing last Saturday’s 58-55 victory over Colorado with a sore knee.
Loveridge wound up subbing for starter Renan Lenz with 14:19 remaining in the half. Dean entered the game 13 seconds later in place of Jarred DuBois, who started alongside Brandon Taylor in the backcourt.
Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak explained that the changes were part of a desire to find a group of guys who’ll start games out consistently.
“You’ve got to have guys that are dialed into the game plan and so that’s what we’re looking for, a little bit, from our starters,” Krystkowiak said.
In Wednesday’s 82-64 loss to Oregon State, Taylor and DuBois finished with 21 and 20 points, respectively. Dean finished with three.
Lenz didn’t score but had six rebounds in seven foul-plagued minutes. Loveridge had just seven points in 30 minutes of action.
LENGTHY DROUGHT: A jumper by Taylor with 17:35 remaining in the first half ended a lengthy field goal drought by the Utes that spanned over two games. Including the final 10:44 of the Colorado game, they had gone 13:09 without a basket — scoring only on free throws during the stretch.
EXTRA STUFF: Attendance was 4,118. ... Utah leads the all-time series 12-10, but Oregon State holds a 9-1 edge in Corvallis. The teams play again March 7 in the Huntsman Center. ... Beavers coach Craig Robinson, the brother of first lady of the United States Michelle Obama, is now 76-82 (29-53 in conference games) at Oregon State.
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz since...
- Exum, Hood, Cooley shine for Jazz in Summer...
- BYU football recruit Charles West shot in arm...
- Top in-state basketball prospects receiving...
- Aggies, Cougars, Utes named to college...
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Brad Rock: Ex-Jazzman Antoine 'Big Dawg' Carr...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 41
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 37
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz... 32
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 30
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 24
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 24
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul... 16