College football: Handful of recruits surprise local programs on signing day
National letter of intent day can be filled with surprises — both good and bad — for collegiate programs. However, BYU, Utah and Utah State didn’t incur a lot of surprises Wednesday as prospects faxed in their letters.
There were a few, though.
Most notable among surprises for the University of Utah was the signing of quarterback Marcus Thomas (6-0, 180), who was pursued heavily by Baylor up until signing day. It was a bit unknown which way the Houston area prospect would break, but Ute fans were excited when he appeared on Utah’s signing list.
Utah did lose a couple of commits in the latter stages — most notably cornerback prospect Marcellus Pippins (5-10, 175), who signed with Washington State. Utah’s other late decommit came from Vili Leveni (6-4, 260), from Hurst, Tex. who ended up signing with Oklahoma State.
BYU lost the services of offensive line prospect Quincy Awa-Dubose (6-3, 305) in the late stages, but supplemented that loss with the surprise signing of two other JUCO offensive line prospects. Tim Duran (6-4, 290) from Cabrillo College (Calif.) signed with the Cougars along with Mt. San Antonio's Edward Fusi, who is a 6-foot-1, 285 prospect.
Another pleasant surprise for the Cougars came with local prospect Pita Taupoemenu signing a commitment letter to join BYU's program following his planned LDS mission. The Timpview standout linebacker tied a state record with 25 sacks in only his first full year of playing football.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 35
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24