SALT LAKE CITY — People with repeat offenses of patronizing a prostitute could be charged with a class A misdemeanor under a bill endorsed Wednesday by a Utah Senate committee.
A check of state and municipal court records revealed that 12 people had recent convictions for patronizing a prostitute, said Rick Schwermer, assistant state court administrator.
"The pool of folks who would be repeat offenders is really small," Schwermer said.
"I wonder if this a solution in search of a problem," said Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Lehi, during a meeting of the Senate Judiciary Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee.
Nonetheless, Sen. Stephen Urquhart, R-St. George, said he believes enhanced penalties may be needed for people who don't learn their lesson the first time they offend.
Sen. Jerry Stevenson, R-Layton, sponsor of SB160, said he was asked by prosecutors and police to carry the legislation.
"I've never utilized this type of service. I have no idea what kind of return rate these folks have," Stevenson said.
While the total number of cases suggests "there's not a big problem, maybe all six were in the same community. If they were, that's a problem," he said.
Stevenson likened the enhanced penalty to parking a police car in front of a business. Having the law on the books may act as a deterrent.
"It seems like a reasonable bill," he said.
The bill also would amend state statute to refer to people patronizing prostitutes in a gender-neutral manner. The criminal code presently refers to suspected offenders as "he." SB160 changes the language to "the person."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- 8 injured in 3-car West Haven crash
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 31
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 29
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11