SALT LAKE CITY — People with repeat offenses of patronizing a prostitute could be charged with a class A misdemeanor under a bill endorsed Wednesday by a Utah Senate committee.
A check of state and municipal court records revealed that 12 people had recent convictions for patronizing a prostitute, said Rick Schwermer, assistant state court administrator.
"The pool of folks who would be repeat offenders is really small," Schwermer said.
"I wonder if this a solution in search of a problem," said Sen. Mark Madsen, R-Lehi, during a meeting of the Senate Judiciary Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee.
Nonetheless, Sen. Stephen Urquhart, R-St. George, said he believes enhanced penalties may be needed for people who don't learn their lesson the first time they offend.
Sen. Jerry Stevenson, R-Layton, sponsor of SB160, said he was asked by prosecutors and police to carry the legislation.
"I've never utilized this type of service. I have no idea what kind of return rate these folks have," Stevenson said.
While the total number of cases suggests "there's not a big problem, maybe all six were in the same community. If they were, that's a problem," he said.
Stevenson likened the enhanced penalty to parking a police car in front of a business. Having the law on the books may act as a deterrent.
"It seems like a reasonable bill," he said.
The bill also would amend state statute to refer to people patronizing prostitutes in a gender-neutral manner. The criminal code presently refers to suspected offenders as "he." SB160 changes the language to "the person."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- U.S. approaching 'sudden' phase of...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 123
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 29
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20