Davis County Jail
BOUNTIFUL — Police have arrested a man who they say had a sexual relationship with a young girl for four years, starting when she was 13 and playing on a soccer team he coached.
Steve Dale Green, 41, was booked into the Davis County Jail Wednesday for investigation of forcible sexual abuse, rape of a child, sexual abuse of a child, sodomy on a child, rape and forcible sodomy.
The girl, now 17, met Green in 2007 when he was her soccer coach, a police affidavit states. Investigators were unsure Wednesday what type of soccer team it was, but a woman who said her daughter played for Green described it as an intramural team for girls ages 12 to 15.
The alleged victim said she became "close friends" with Green's family and went to their home often, the affidavit states. In 2008, when she was 13, the girl told police that Green initiated a sexual relationship.
Investigators said the relationship progressed from touching to intercourse and lasted until 2011. The sexual activity occurred at Green's Bountiful home on a near-daily basis, according to the affidavit.
The relationship ended when the girl grew older and developed an interest in boys her own age, said Bountiful Police Lt. Gary Coehn. She confided in a relative about what had allegedly happened between her and Green and the relative contacted police.
Coehn said Green declined to be interviewed by police, requesting an attorney upon his arrest.
The mother of a girl who Green once coached said she worries that he may have used his position and influence to victimize others.
"You just don't imagine this happening to you or someone you know," said the woman who asked not to be identified. "It's a life changing event. How many others could he have done this to? It just blows your mind and makes your heart cry."
Coehn said police are not aware of any other potential victims.
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer found...
- Steven Powell can't go back to his home,...
- Provo couple killed in RV accident near St....
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Utah ranks No. 1 for economic outlook for...
- LDS official speaks at Boy Scouts of America...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 70
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 25
- Man charged with killing Ogden officer... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21