Bountiful coach had sexual relationship with girl on team, police say
Davis County Jail
BOUNTIFUL — Police have arrested a man who they say had a sexual relationship with a young girl for four years, starting when she was 13 and playing on a soccer team he coached.
Steve Dale Green, 41, was booked into the Davis County Jail Wednesday for investigation of forcible sexual abuse, rape of a child, sexual abuse of a child, sodomy on a child, rape and forcible sodomy.
The girl, now 17, met Green in 2007 when he was her soccer coach, a police affidavit states. Investigators were unsure Wednesday what type of soccer team it was, but a woman who said her daughter played for Green described it as an intramural team for girls ages 12 to 15.
The alleged victim said she became "close friends" with Green's family and went to their home often, the affidavit states. In 2008, when she was 13, the girl told police that Green initiated a sexual relationship.
Investigators said the relationship progressed from touching to intercourse and lasted until 2011. The sexual activity occurred at Green's Bountiful home on a near-daily basis, according to the affidavit.
The relationship ended when the girl grew older and developed an interest in boys her own age, said Bountiful Police Lt. Gary Coehn. She confided in a relative about what had allegedly happened between her and Green and the relative contacted police.
Coehn said Green declined to be interviewed by police, requesting an attorney upon his arrest.
The mother of a girl who Green once coached said she worries that he may have used his position and influence to victimize others.
"You just don't imagine this happening to you or someone you know," said the woman who asked not to be identified. "It's a life changing event. How many others could he have done this to? It just blows your mind and makes your heart cry."
Coehn said police are not aware of any other potential victims.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Gay rights activists to fight charges for...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 45
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 35
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22