Bountiful coach had sexual relationship with girl on team, police say
Davis County Jail
BOUNTIFUL — Police have arrested a man who they say had a sexual relationship with a young girl for four years, starting when she was 13 and playing on a soccer team he coached.
Steve Dale Green, 41, was booked into the Davis County Jail Wednesday for investigation of forcible sexual abuse, rape of a child, sexual abuse of a child, sodomy on a child, rape and forcible sodomy.
The girl, now 17, met Green in 2007 when he was her soccer coach, a police affidavit states. Investigators were unsure Wednesday what type of soccer team it was, but a woman who said her daughter played for Green described it as an intramural team for girls ages 12 to 15.
The alleged victim said she became "close friends" with Green's family and went to their home often, the affidavit states. In 2008, when she was 13, the girl told police that Green initiated a sexual relationship.
Investigators said the relationship progressed from touching to intercourse and lasted until 2011. The sexual activity occurred at Green's Bountiful home on a near-daily basis, according to the affidavit.
The relationship ended when the girl grew older and developed an interest in boys her own age, said Bountiful Police Lt. Gary Coehn. She confided in a relative about what had allegedly happened between her and Green and the relative contacted police.
Coehn said Green declined to be interviewed by police, requesting an attorney upon his arrest.
The mother of a girl who Green once coached said she worries that he may have used his position and influence to victimize others.
"You just don't imagine this happening to you or someone you know," said the woman who asked not to be identified. "It's a life changing event. How many others could he have done this to? It just blows your mind and makes your heart cry."
Coehn said police are not aware of any other potential victims.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8