Feds try to help, but many student loan borrowers still stranded without assistance
The fourth group that does not qualify for any federal repayment assistance programs is the private loan borrowers.
Private loans often constitute a large portion of a borrower’s student loan debt. Many borrowers are not aware of the differences between private and federal loans when they receive them. As a result, they usually do not find out how this will impact their options (and upcoming bills) until after they are out of school and in repayment.
It’s much too late for them to back out then.
Lastly, the fifth group left out from the previously mentioned federal borrower assistance is the parents of borrowers.
The IBR and Pay as You Earn programs are designed to address the financial hardship experienced by borrowers during the recent economic recession.
Loans such as Parent Plus loans, however, were not included in these plans and the holders of these loans probably needed the most help – mostly because they already had established their debt prior to the economic downturn.
Considering parents often cosign for their children’s private loans, this group is quite burdened and disregarded by the recent federal repayment revamps.
The Good News
The good news is that prior to the IBR and Pay as You Earn programs, there were already many established repayment assistance programs available, and they still exist today.
These options include, but are not limited to, deferment, forbearance, consolidation and Interest Sensitive Repayment options.
The Pay as You Earn and Income-Based Repayment programs are the most talked about in today’s news, but if you find yourself in one of the groups left out of qualifying for them, look deeper into repayment planning and consider consulting with an expert.
Jan Miller is a student loan consultant & founder of Miller Student Loan Consulting, the first & only company devoted to giving borrowers customized student loan repayment plans that fit their budget & life. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- A. Scott Anderson: SBA — a critical...
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from Salt Lake...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- Why China's market slump is good news for...
- Michelle Singletary: Students should use...
- Balancing act: Survey: Many people work...
- What seekers of financial advice can learn...
- US stocks pare losses after 1,000-point... 15
- Utahns want diverse housing,... 9
- Teens are shopping more like their... 6
- US stocks extend losses as early rally... 3
- Michelle Singletary: Students should... 3
- Why you don't need to panic about... 3
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from... 3
- Global markets rebound as China cuts... 2