BYU football: Offensive coordinator Robert Anae fields questions on national signing day
PROVO — New BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae took to the podium for the first time since being re-hired as the team's offensive coordinator. Anae provided insight on why he left BYU for Arizona and why he chose to return to Provo:
Anae said he was surprised when BYU asked him to come back as he felt his opportunity with the school was over and done with.
He stated several times that he's back at BYU to "prove something" and feels he has a lot of unfinished work from his first stint here.
BYU coaches say Anae resigned back in 2010 even though coach Bronco Mendenhall asked him to stay.
Anae felt that it was necessary for, not only his own growth as a coach, but for the BYU program to step away for a couple of years.
Anae's two tenents in running an offense will be: No. 1, "play fast;" and No. 2, "play hard."
Anae affirmed that he will be coaching the offensive line along with newly hired coach Garrett Tujague. He defined himself as "Tujague's assistant offensive line coach."
Anae said he will work to incorporate the quarterback as part of his offensive attack, but is wary of overexposing the quarterback in that endevour.
He mentioned that he wants the offense to mimic what Mendenhall has accomplished on defense. He expects his offense, and particularly the offense line, to be the "hardest-working unit on the team."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16