Mother, daughter ordered to stand trial in teen's death
SALT LAKE CITY — A mother and daughter accused of obstructing justice in connection with the death of a Salt Lake teenager were ordered to stand trial Wednesday.
Jessica Reyos, 38, and her daughter, Shelby Reed, 19, were both bound over for trial on charges of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, by 3rd District Judge Anthony Quinn. The women are among a number of individuals charged in connection with the death of 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston.
Frank Reyos, 31, Jessica Reyos' brother, and David Angel Montes, 21, have both been charged with murder, a first-degree felony, in Winston's death.
Winston's body was found dumped in a vacant lot at 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (2900 South) on Aug. 29. He was last seen alive on Aug. 26, getting into a vehicle with Montes. The vehicle was registered to Jessica Reyos. On Aug. 29, Salt Lake police interviewed Reyos, but she claimed she didn't know Montes.
When she was interviewed a second time the next day, Reyos admitted she knew Montes but was afraid to talk to detectives "for fear of retaliation," according to charging documents.
Reyos admitted to providing police with false information and that she was planning to leave the country, the charges state.
Reed was also interviewed on Aug. 29 and allegedly told officers she had no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Winston's death. Police interviewed Reed a second time on Sept. 13 and Reed said then that she had gone to the site where Winston's body had been dumped and had helped clean up a hotel room to eliminate evidence, the charges state.
An arraignment hearing for Reyos and Reed has been set for March 11.
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- 26-year-old Provo woman missing since...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 9