Mother, daughter ordered to stand trial in teen's death
SALT LAKE CITY — A mother and daughter accused of obstructing justice in connection with the death of a Salt Lake teenager were ordered to stand trial Wednesday.
Jessica Reyos, 38, and her daughter, Shelby Reed, 19, were both bound over for trial on charges of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, by 3rd District Judge Anthony Quinn. The women are among a number of individuals charged in connection with the death of 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston.
Frank Reyos, 31, Jessica Reyos' brother, and David Angel Montes, 21, have both been charged with murder, a first-degree felony, in Winston's death.
Winston's body was found dumped in a vacant lot at 1120 E. Crandall Ave. (2900 South) on Aug. 29. He was last seen alive on Aug. 26, getting into a vehicle with Montes. The vehicle was registered to Jessica Reyos. On Aug. 29, Salt Lake police interviewed Reyos, but she claimed she didn't know Montes.
When she was interviewed a second time the next day, Reyos admitted she knew Montes but was afraid to talk to detectives "for fear of retaliation," according to charging documents.
Reyos admitted to providing police with false information and that she was planning to leave the country, the charges state.
Reed was also interviewed on Aug. 29 and allegedly told officers she had no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Winston's death. Police interviewed Reed a second time on Sept. 13 and Reed said then that she had gone to the site where Winston's body had been dumped and had helped clean up a hotel room to eliminate evidence, the charges state.
An arraignment hearing for Reyos and Reed has been set for March 11.
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 36
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 28
- Salt Lake protesters take their message... 18
- Gov. Herbert tours state prison to... 16
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 15
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 11