Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- Ranking the best running backs in University...
- Elder Perry the sports fan
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei...
- Ranking the best power forwards in the NBA...
- Sisterly Love: Brynlee Lindsey jeopardizing...
- Ex-Olympus High star Nick Paulos to get Jazz...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Rock On: The luxury of a pink slip
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 151
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 41
- Several early season game times set for... 32
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei... 30
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 14
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout... 14