Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42