Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22