Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26