Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16