Utah Utes football: Coach Kyle Whittingham interviews Dennis Erickson
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Longtime college and professional football coach Dennis Erickson has interviewed with Kyle Whittingham for an assistant coach position at the University of Utah. A source confirmed the meeting took place Tuesday on campus.
Erickson, who turns 66 on March 24, was Arizona State’s head coach from 2007-2011. Other college stints include Idaho (1982-85, 2006), Wyoming (1986), Washington State (1987-88), Miami (1989-94) and Oregon State (1999-2002). He coached Miami to national championships in 1989 and 1991.
Erickson’s NFL head coaching career featured tenures with the Seattle Seahawks (1995-98) and San Francisco 49ers (2003-04).
Utah has one vacancy on its coaching staff after defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a left the Utes to join Gary Andersen’s staff at Wisconsin.
Last week, Whittingham acknowledged that one of his current assistants could be moved to defense and the new hire placed on offense. Brian Johnson, 25, just completed his first season as Utah’s offensive coordinator.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 96
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25