Police catch alleged serial bank robber following high-speed chase
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — An alleged bank robber led police on a frantic chase Tuesday, reaching speeds of 80 mph and, at times, throwing money out the window.
James T. Carey, 39, finally was arrested about 4:15 p.m. after police managed to spike his tires. Officers then hit him with a Taser and sent police dogs after him. Police said they believe Carey robbed a Chase Bank in Millcreek at gunpoint Monday. The man is on federal parole for bank robberies in other states, police said.
Police began following up leads on Carey shortly after Monday's robbery, spending a frenzied 24 hours preparing to arrest the man they considered to be armed and dangerous, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
As officers staked out the Murray hotel where they believed Carey had holed up, they saw him exit the building but couldn't risk approaching the man because there were bystanders in the area. When Carey left the hotel in his vehicle, police attempted a traffic stop and the car sped off.
"This is a very dangerous individual," Hoyal said. "He has made threats as well toward law enforcement and said that he wasn't going to go back to prison."
Hoyal said the chase, which lasted about 15 minutes, weaved through city streets, along I-15 and I-215, and eventually halted near 5600 South and Redwood Road.
Carey was taken into custody and treated at a nearby hospital for minor injuries before police began interviewing him, Hoyal said.
Some residents already have turned in cash Carey threw out the window. Police are asking anyone who finds money from the chase to call 801-743-5890.
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- John Wall harbored hatred for ex-wife after...
- Murder trial ordered for teen in brutal...
- See where Utah schools, schools with LDS ties...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 89
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 51
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 48
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert's Healthy Utah plan... 26