Police catch alleged serial bank robber following high-speed chase
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — An alleged bank robber led police on a frantic chase Tuesday, reaching speeds of 80 mph and, at times, throwing money out the window.
James T. Carey, 39, finally was arrested about 4:15 p.m. after police managed to spike his tires. Officers then hit him with a Taser and sent police dogs after him. Police said they believe Carey robbed a Chase Bank in Millcreek at gunpoint Monday. The man is on federal parole for bank robberies in other states, police said.
Police began following up leads on Carey shortly after Monday's robbery, spending a frenzied 24 hours preparing to arrest the man they considered to be armed and dangerous, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
As officers staked out the Murray hotel where they believed Carey had holed up, they saw him exit the building but couldn't risk approaching the man because there were bystanders in the area. When Carey left the hotel in his vehicle, police attempted a traffic stop and the car sped off.
"This is a very dangerous individual," Hoyal said. "He has made threats as well toward law enforcement and said that he wasn't going to go back to prison."
Hoyal said the chase, which lasted about 15 minutes, weaved through city streets, along I-15 and I-215, and eventually halted near 5600 South and Redwood Road.
Carey was taken into custody and treated at a nearby hospital for minor injuries before police began interviewing him, Hoyal said.
Some residents already have turned in cash Carey threw out the window. Police are asking anyone who finds money from the chase to call 801-743-5890.
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Doug Robinson: Gifts of life bring joy to 2...
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 49
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 49
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 31
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 22
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 15
- Mural on side of restaurant violates... 12