BYU track: Women's track team heads back to Washington and Colorado
PROVO — The BYU women’s track & field team heads back to Washington for the Husky Classic and to Colorado for the Air Force Team Challenge this weekend for the final meets before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships.
Similar to a few weeks ago, the distance runners will compete in Washington on Feb. 8-9, and the power athletes will compete in Colorado on Feb. 9.
“We have a nice group going to both meets,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “Our athlete’s objective is to improve on their individual rankings in the MPSF. We only take 27 athletes to the conference championships, and this week will determine who travels and who doesn’t.”
The Husky Classic will begin for the Cougars on Friday at 5:30 p.m. PST with the 5,000-meter race in which Natalie Shields will compete in for the first time this year. Previously, Shields has competed in the mile (4:57.96) and the 3,000 (9:47.44) finishing fifth and first, respectively.
Also competing in the Husky Classic are Erica Birk, Candace Eddy Carlisle and Nicole Rudd. Birk, who finished second in the mile during her last meet in Washington, will compete in the 3,000 along with Carlisle. Rudd is set to compete in the 400.
Competing in the Air Force Team Challenge is Elizabeth Wilson. Two weeks ago, Wilson finished third overall in the Pentathlon with 3,762 points. Wilson now currently ranks ninth on the BYU all-time record board. She is set to compete in the triple jump.
The Cougar's top pole vaulters, Rachel Fisher and Kelli Ehardt, will also compete in the Air Force Team Challenge hoping to improve from where they left off. During the Air Force Invitational in January, Fisher finished first clearing 4.00m (13-01.50), and Ehardt finished second with the same vault.
Live stats for the Husky Classic can be found at GoHuskies.com.
Live stats for the Air Force Team Challenge can be found at DirectAthletics.com.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- BYU football: Kai Nacua looking forward after...
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- Lexi Eaton scores 30, including game-winner,...
- Breaking down the field: West Coast...
- Utes struggle, survive scare but eventually...
- BYU looking to get off bubble, into NCAA...
- Doug Robinson: Enes Kanter trade a win-win so...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 79
- Utes struggle, survive scare but... 53
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 52
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 45
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 43
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Kai Nacua looking forward... 38