BYU track: Women's track team heads back to Washington and Colorado
PROVO — The BYU women’s track & field team heads back to Washington for the Husky Classic and to Colorado for the Air Force Team Challenge this weekend for the final meets before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships.
Similar to a few weeks ago, the distance runners will compete in Washington on Feb. 8-9, and the power athletes will compete in Colorado on Feb. 9.
“We have a nice group going to both meets,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “Our athlete’s objective is to improve on their individual rankings in the MPSF. We only take 27 athletes to the conference championships, and this week will determine who travels and who doesn’t.”
The Husky Classic will begin for the Cougars on Friday at 5:30 p.m. PST with the 5,000-meter race in which Natalie Shields will compete in for the first time this year. Previously, Shields has competed in the mile (4:57.96) and the 3,000 (9:47.44) finishing fifth and first, respectively.
Also competing in the Husky Classic are Erica Birk, Candace Eddy Carlisle and Nicole Rudd. Birk, who finished second in the mile during her last meet in Washington, will compete in the 3,000 along with Carlisle. Rudd is set to compete in the 400.
Competing in the Air Force Team Challenge is Elizabeth Wilson. Two weeks ago, Wilson finished third overall in the Pentathlon with 3,762 points. Wilson now currently ranks ninth on the BYU all-time record board. She is set to compete in the triple jump.
The Cougar's top pole vaulters, Rachel Fisher and Kelli Ehardt, will also compete in the Air Force Team Challenge hoping to improve from where they left off. During the Air Force Invitational in January, Fisher finished first clearing 4.00m (13-01.50), and Ehardt finished second with the same vault.
Live stats for the Husky Classic can be found at GoHuskies.com.
Live stats for the Air Force Team Challenge can be found at DirectAthletics.com.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com,
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 27