BYU gymnastics: Cougars welcome Southeast Missouri State at the Smith Fieldhouse on Friday
PROVO — Coming off a season high at Boise State with a 195.125, the BYU women’s gymnastics team returns to the Smith Fieldhouse against the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks on Friday.
BYU’s top score of the 2013 season sets the stage for even more improvement as the Cougars have been productive through the first five meets, nearing the halfway point of the year.
With the middle of the season in motion, the team has to find a way to stay healthy through injuries and bugs and perform at its best.
“Well we have a few girls that are sick and battling right now,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “We’ll just have to see where we are at the end of the week and do our best.”
The team scored season highs in both the vault and the floor at Boise State, areas that started the season off slower. BYU set a season-high on the balance beam in the first meet of the year and will look to match that 49.050 effort against the Redhawks.
The bars have been steady for the Cougars with a low of 48.400 and a high of 48.950, so the team will have an opportunity to build on that heading into Friday’s meet.
Freshman Eliane Kulczyk continues to impress, along with Makenzie Johnson and Emily Vidmar. Kulczyk led the team with the highest vault score on the team for the second-straight week, and Johnson and Vidmar tied veteran all-arounder Raquel Willman for the best balance beam score last week.
Willman is coming off a season high with a 39.150 all-around score at Boise State.
The meet is set to begin Friday, Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. from the Smith Fieldhouse. It will be broadcast live on BYUtv.
Check BYUcougars.com and byu.statbroadcast.com for live scores from the meet.
Kenny is a BYU graduate, currently working as a football media relations assistant and gymnastics SID at BYU. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on twitter @KennyCoxKC
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- BYU basketball: Cougars show their respect...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 66
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28