Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, is calling on his colleagues on Utah's Capitol Hill to urge Congress and President Barack Obama to enact immediate protections for the state's Greater Canyonlands area.
Dubakis hosted a news conference Tuesday and was joined by Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Salt Lake City, the House sponsor of a joint resolution calling for protections.
SJR10 cites the pristine nature of the Greater Canyonlands region and its value as an undeveloped recreational spot for generations to come. The resolution also touts the infusion of money that outdoor recreation generates for the state — $5.8 billion annually — and the important role Canyonlands National Park plays in that equation.
Dabakis said his measure enjoys broad support from all corners, including hikers, cyclists, offroaders, hunters, business leaders and environmental advocates.
"What we have in Utah is not just a park, but an international treasure," he said.
Dabakis is asking residents to be co-sponsors of the resolution by learning more about the effort at www.utahdemocrats.org.
Utah's political landscape is dominated by conservative Republicans, many of whom contend the federal government already has too much control of land in the state and are resistant to any move that would set aside additional acreage.
- Utah ranks No. 1 for economic outlook for...
- Kennecott lays off roughly 100 workers Thursday
- US companies challenging contraception mandate
- Mistake or miracle: New evidence on the...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Low US energy prices make Euro leaders see green
- The future of food? 3D printing moves beyond...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- US companies challenging contraception... 17
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of... 13
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL... 11
- IRS official to take the 5th at hearing 8
- Obama threatens veto of Republican... 7
- Utah ranks No. 1 for economic outlook... 7