SALT LAKE CITY — Birdwatchers will have a chance to see a national symbol up close as the state Division of Wildlife Resources holds Bald Eagle Day on Saturday, Feb. 9.
The event is free and will take place in five separate locations, providing viewers an opportunity to learn more about the bald eagle.
The northern Utah locations are the Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area at Compton’s Knoll and Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area. The viewing at Salt Creek will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Also, a captive bald eagle will be at the event from noon to 1 p.m.
Viewing at Farmington Bay will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hands-on activities for children will begin at 9 a.m. and continue through most of the day. Live birds of prey will also be available to view. Members of HawkWatch International will show raptors from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In central Utah, the birds can be viewed at Fountain Green State Fish Hatchery from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Spotting scopes will be set up at a viewing location about one mile from the hatchery.
Northeastern Utah birdwatchers can see the bald eagles at Split Mountain Green River from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Beginning at noon in the visitors center, a handler will present a one-hour slide show about birds of prey.
In southern Utah, bald eagles can be seen at Cedar Valley form 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Attendees should dress in warm clothes and bring waterproof boots, and bring a telephoto lens to take photos.
For more information about Bald Eagle Day, call Bob Walters, watchable wildlife coordinator for the DWR, at 801-209-5326, or DWR offices in Ogden, Springville, Vernal or Cedar City.
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12