Mormon Bobby Engemann of '60s pop trio The Lettermen put faith, family first
"He was a devoted family man who retired from the Lettermen near the height of the group’s popularity to spend more time with his wife Betty and their children," Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch wrote in a letter read at the funeral service Jan. 26. "He was active in the community and a faithful member of his church — someone whose love, compassion and service to others endeared him to everyone."
A letter from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve was also read at the service.
Bobby's devotion to his faith and family was evident at the funeral. Each of his children gave their own remarks about their father in which each mentioned his faithfulness and love for their family. A testimony was offered by each child as they credited their father with teaching them the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Karl commented on his younger brother's faithfulness, stating that he was always set an example to him, even though he was the older brother.
"One of his last concerns," Karl remarked at the funeral service, "was that his tithing was current. He checked it and it was."
The Lettermen: 'Theme from a Summer Place'
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the free...
- LDS Church is smart to reach out to 'Book of...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- LDS Church submits temporary Provo MTC plans...
- Inspired question, 'Book of Mormon' musical...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 53
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Inspired question, 'Book of Mormon'... 44
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad... 44
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 23
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17