Young filers may feel indestructible, but their finances are not. While filing this tax season, here are tax breaks that 20-something filers can benefit from, according to an article by the Chicago Tribune.

Education credits and deductions

If your parents no longer claim you as a dependent, and you paid college bills in 2012, a portion of that cost could be deducted depending on your income. This is one of the expired tax breaks that was extended for a year.

Up to $4,000 in tuition can be deducted if your gross income isn’t over $65,000 or $130,000 if married and filing jointly.

Other education tax breaks include the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Student loan interest

Payments made on student loan interest qualify for a deduction.

Save on filing

Comment on this story

Simple tax returns are easy to file for free. Start on the IRS website, which shows more than a dozen companies participating in Free File, a free program for tax filing.

Free software versions of H&R Block, TaxAct and Turbotax are online. Members of the military have new software offered online through TurboTax, which is free until Feb. 14.

If your return is complicated and you will need to spend money on it, you can save by starting early. Some companies offer discounts.