OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University women's basketball team opened the game on a 31-3 run and cruised from there, topping Walla Walla of the NAIA 87-27 Monday night at the UCCU Center.
Eleven Wolverines (9-13) appeared in the contest with 10 getting into the scoring column.
"We just wanted to focus on our execution offensively and defensively and I think the whole team came out focused on that process," head coach Cathy Nixon said. "We wanted to walk away from this game feeling like we got better; I feel like we did. We were able to get a lot of players in there to get some experience."
Tina Doughty scored 20 of her game-high 27 points in the opening spurt, including a 6-of-7 mark from beyond the arc. Drilling her first six, three-point attempts of the ballgame, Doughty tied the single-game Wolverine record less than eight minutes into the contest.
She would later break the record with her seventh and eighth treys in the second half, finishing the game at 8-for-10 from three.
Three others scored in double digits for UVU. Sam Loggins dropped in a season-best 14 points on 7-of-12 shooting, while Taylor Huber added another 13. Alle Cardwell scored 10 of her 12 points in the first half and hit a pair of treys.
Leading UVU in rebounding was Kaycee Mansfield who ripped down nine boards.
The visiting Wolves were led by eight points from Abbey Manzano.
The Wolverines led 53-12 at the break behind 58 percent shooting and 15 first-half assists. WWU, which turned the ball over 17 times in the opening period, was limited to just 17 percent shooting.
UVU finished the game at 44 percent shooting with 14 made three-pointers to tie a single-game school mark.
The Wolverines begin their second pass through Great West Conference play Saturday when they host NJIT at 3 p.m. in the UCCU Center. The Highlanders, currently tied with UVU atop the GWC standings, claimed the season's first meeting, topping the Wolverines 49-46 in Newark on Jan. 26.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28