"There were tons of ads objectifying women, where women's bodies or beauty or sexuality was being used to sell a product," Filucci said. "Why is it funny that this beautiful woman is kissing this nerdy-looking guy? It's a hard conversation to have. When I asked my kids, my daughter said, 'It's funny cause he's ugly.' Is that really the message that you want your kid to get? It's pure objectification, and that's offensive."
The Hollywood Reporter broke down the kiss by the numbers after saying the ad "managed against all odds to crisscross cultural divides and effectively gross out an entire nation." Only 11 percent of social media reaction found the ad "positive."
When parents are planning on watching any live event on TV, like the Super Bowl, with their children, they need to be prepared, whether they use DVR to record, then fast-forward through content deemed inappropriate, or set up things for children to do in the other room, Filucci said.
"Don't be going as a passive consumer," she said. "By choosing to watch the Super Bowl with your kids, you are making a parenting decision, and you need to put some effort into it."
One particular group — Miss Representation — took action specifically against sexist messages being sent during the Super Bowl with a campaign, and accompanying hashtag: #NOTBUYINGIT. More than 1 million tweets were sent while commercials and the halftime show aired, telling companies that they weren't buying the messages being sent.
Mandy Morgan is an intern for the Deseret News, reporting on issues surrounding both family and values in the media. She is a true-blue Aggie, studying journalism and political science at Utah State University, and hails from Highland, Utah.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Should you tell your spouse the little white...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Character counts, but politics, gender... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- Is the 'friend zone' a bad thing? 4