SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Food Bank collected nearly 3 million pounds of food during its annual Holiday Food Drive, thanks to its sponsors and communities throughout the state. The donations of 2,865,697 pounds of food will provide more than 2.2 million meals to Utahns, according to the food bank.
“The generosity we’ve seen this year is inspiring,” said Ginette Bott, chief marketing officer at Utah Food Bank. “With roughly 472,000 Utahns at risk for missing one meal every day, we are so appreciative of the efforts that families, businesses and communities make to fight hunger in Utah.”
The Holiday Food Drive draws donations from more than 400 community groups and businesses statewide, the food bank said. Food and monetary donations provided during the drive are used to support 129 Utah Food Bank partners throughout Utah.
“We want to thank every person who donated and every business that hosted a drive,” said Bott. “We don’t want our neighbors to choose between paying their bills and buying food for their families. The food drives and all of our partners help ensure these families don’t have to make that choice because of their generosity.”
According to Feeding America, a national affiliation of food banks, one in five Utah children is unsure of where their next meal in coming from. Even though generous donations were received during the Holiday Food Drive, the need continues all year. For more information about Utah Food Bank and how to help year-round, visit www.utahfoodbank.org.
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Overstock employees ride bicycles to work to...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry proposed...
- Batman and the search for familial stability
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 12
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 4
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 4
- Beef pollutes more than pork, poultry,... 2
- Airlines scrap Israel flights over... 2