Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — Crews rescued a backcountry skier Monday after he fell off a 100-foot cliff.
Robert Babbitt, 31, of Salt Lake City, was in critical condition Monday night but recovering well considering the height of the fall and the efforts it took to rescue him, police said.
Babbitt had been skiing with three friends when the accident occurred. It was unclear whether he'd slipped, taken a wrong turn or exactly how it happened, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Babbitt's companions said it was an accident, but they believe their friend will make a full recovery.
When Babbitt went off the edge, two members of the four-person group trekked down to help the skier while another climbed up the ridge and called 911 about 1:30 p.m.
Rescue crews were eventually able to reach Babbitt in the Hogum's Fork area, between Tanner's Flat and Snowbird Ski Resort. A Life Flight helicopter used a hoist to pick him up and take him to a hospital.
Babbitt suffered leg and facial injuries, Hoyal said. He was conscious and talking with emergency personnel when he was transported.
"He is very lucky to have only sustained the injuries that he has," Hoyal said.
Craig Gordan, an avalanche forecaster with the Utah Avalanche Center, said the Hogum's Fork area can be treacherous.
"There's a lot of steep terrain, lots of unforgiving terrain," Gordan said. "Either a miscalculation or a missed turn could wind up in a bad consequence situation."
Contributing: Jed Boal
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22