SALT LAKE CITY — A Kearns man who threatened to attack Gov. Gary Herbert last year has been sent to prison.
Brian Biff Baker, 53, was sentenced to 58 months in prison after pleading guilty to threatening the use of explosives. In exchange for the plea, federal prosecutors dropped three other charges against him. U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell also gave him credit for the time he served pending resolution of the case.
The charges stem from a Feb. 2, 2012, incident outside the Governor's Mansion where Baker sent numerous texts to a friend saying he was hiding in the bushes and intended to kill Herbert.
One message read: "Been casing the place they going to (expletive removed) when the explosions start lol should be funny ... its a dangerous mission. This cop drives by one more time im takeing him out," according to court records.
Herbert was in the mansion at the time and was taken to a safe place for his protection.
A Utah Department of Public Safety investigator viewed surveillance video of the area around the mansion and saw Baker watching the property. The investigator then arranged for the friend to meet Baker at a gas station where he was taken into custody, the charges state.
Baker's truck was found near the mansion and police found containers of ammunition, a large knife, M088 Salute explosives, several cardboard boxes of illegal firecrackers, a pipe and two bags containing methamphetamine, according to court documents.
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 99
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 35
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 30
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24