Man who threatened Utah Gov. Gary Herbert headed to prison
SALT LAKE CITY — A Kearns man who threatened to attack Gov. Gary Herbert last year has been sent to prison.
Brian Biff Baker, 53, was sentenced to 58 months in prison after pleading guilty to threatening the use of explosives. In exchange for the plea, federal prosecutors dropped three other charges against him. U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell also gave him credit for the time he served pending resolution of the case.
The charges stem from a Feb. 2, 2012, incident outside the Governor's Mansion where Baker sent numerous texts to a friend saying he was hiding in the bushes and intended to kill Herbert.
One message read: "Been casing the place they going to (expletive removed) when the explosions start lol should be funny ... its a dangerous mission. This cop drives by one more time im takeing him out," according to court records.
Herbert was in the mansion at the time and was taken to a safe place for his protection.
A Utah Department of Public Safety investigator viewed surveillance video of the area around the mansion and saw Baker watching the property. The investigator then arranged for the friend to meet Baker at a gas station where he was taken into custody, the charges state.
Baker's truck was found near the mansion and police found containers of ammunition, a large knife, M088 Salute explosives, several cardboard boxes of illegal firecrackers, a pipe and two bags containing methamphetamine, according to court documents.
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 75
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in... 12