From there they may bring up policy. Make sure you get the actual policy, not their interpretation. Look for solutions that fall within the policy, but if not, say, "So how are we going to solve this issue?"
Lona says people may have to escalate it to the corporate level or another supervisor. The point is to keep calmly going higher until you get what you want.
Stern says if the direct contact route doesn't work, people can complain on the company's Facebook page. People can also send a Tweet with the company's name in a hashtag such as "#CompanyX." She does caution to not make statements you can't verify like, "Company X knowingly sells unsafe products." That could get you sued.
If a person masters techniques like these, they may not be appreciated by customer service representatives. One commenter on the Consumerist article about Lona responded this way: "I personally look forward to calls from people like this with glee, because I represent a brick wall to this mentality," commenter "Helxis" says. "'No, you will not get the solution that you think you deserve. You will get the solution that you paid for.' As far as I'm concerned, you are essentially a thief when you escalate a call up the way up to corporate so that your call costs more than the item/service you don't deserve and the company is eventually forced to 'give in.'"
"Helxis," for some reason, didn't mention the company he or she works for.
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Q&A: Gauge the costs, advantages of long-term...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and nickels are...
- Smartphones and the Internet are changing the...
- 'Deseret News National Edition' looks at CPAC...
- Social Security Q&A: Military retirement; IRA...
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality 19
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 15
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and... 3
- High steaks: Beef prices mooove up 2
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in... 1
- Here are 5 clues to the health of US... 1
- 'Deseret News National Edition' looks... 1