FILLMORE — The Bureau of Land Management's Fillmore office will begin the Swasey Herd Management Area wild horse gather on or about Tuesday, Feb. 12.
The BLM is planning on gathering an estimated 262 wild horses from the area with up to 100 being released back onto the range following the gather. Approximately 49 mares will be treated with the fertility control drug Porcine Zona Pellucida; the remainder of the released horses will be studs.
Approximately 162 excess wild horses, including wild horses gathered that are residing outside the Swasey Herd Management Area boundary, will be removed. Animals removed from the area will be available for adoption through the BLM Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Program.
Members of the public are welcome to view the daily gather operations once they begin, so long as the safety of the animals, staff and observers are not jeopardized and operations are not disrupted. Interested people may participate in an escorted tour by meeting at the Hart’s Food and Gas, 76 N. Highway 6 in Delta, ready to leave at 6 a.m.
The public is strongly encouraged to check the gather hotline nightly at 435-743-3124 for changes in schedule. Participants must provide their own transportation, water and lunches. The BLM recommends that the public dress for harsh field conditions. Binoculars as well as four-wheel drive vehicles are strongly recommended.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16