FILLMORE — The Bureau of Land Management's Fillmore office will begin the Swasey Herd Management Area wild horse gather on or about Tuesday, Feb. 12.
The BLM is planning on gathering an estimated 262 wild horses from the area with up to 100 being released back onto the range following the gather. Approximately 49 mares will be treated with the fertility control drug Porcine Zona Pellucida; the remainder of the released horses will be studs.
Approximately 162 excess wild horses, including wild horses gathered that are residing outside the Swasey Herd Management Area boundary, will be removed. Animals removed from the area will be available for adoption through the BLM Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Program.
Members of the public are welcome to view the daily gather operations once they begin, so long as the safety of the animals, staff and observers are not jeopardized and operations are not disrupted. Interested people may participate in an escorted tour by meeting at the Hart’s Food and Gas, 76 N. Highway 6 in Delta, ready to leave at 6 a.m.
The public is strongly encouraged to check the gather hotline nightly at 435-743-3124 for changes in schedule. Participants must provide their own transportation, water and lunches. The BLM recommends that the public dress for harsh field conditions. Binoculars as well as four-wheel drive vehicles are strongly recommended.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12