Keith Srakocic, Associated Press
Our take: Five Polynesians played in Super Bowl XLVII. Jim Corbett wrote an article for USA Today that describes how college coaches love recruiting Polynesians from the Pacific Islands because the players have size and character. The article also talks about Polynesians at BYU and Utah and their connection to the LDS Church.
NEW ORLEANS — Harbaughed out yet?
Then let us offer you the Polynesian Bowl.
In Super Bowl XLVII, there is a fascinating, under-the-radar story line of family lineage, fierce rivalry and brotherhood that traces to the tiny Pacific Islands and their centuries-old heritages.
As the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens are expected to deliver an extremely physical game, it's fitting that three Tongans and two Samoans will battle along the line of scrimmage.
The Ravens' humongous Tongan defensive linemen Haloti Ngata and Ma'ake Kemoeatu will channel their warrior spirit in attacking Samoan 49ers guard Mike Iupati and Tongan backup fullback Will Tukuafu.
49ers nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga of American Samoa will be the other Polynesian suiting up Sunday.
These five wide bodies are the crest of a coming wave of Polynesians swelling among the college ranks, particularly in the Pac-12 and Mountain West conferences.
And why not? Ngata stands 6-4, 340 pounds. Kemoeatu is 6-5, 345.
San Francisco's monster pulling guard Iupati is 6-5, 341. Sopoaga is 6-2, 330, and Tukuafu is the small fry of this Polynesian Fab Five at 6-4, 293.
"Polynesian players are built for combat, built for football — big, strong, fast," said Haloti Moala, 46, uncle and surrogate father to Ngata, whom Moala coached at Highland High in Salt Lake City. "The warrior spirit is within us.
"We love contact. That's been the history of our people."
- Mormon mom, Mrs. Mexico, sticks to her...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Arizona family shares Christmas greetings...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Top stories of the year: Mormons who made...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Defending the Faith: The collective witness...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 86
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 86
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 18
- Defending the Faith: The collective... 18
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 17
- Catholic high school teacher fired... 16
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 13