Jimmer watch: Fredette returns to the state of Utah for second time this season
SALT LAKE CITY — Jimmer Fredette and the Sacramento Kings travel to Utah to take on the Utah Jazz for the second time this season. The former BYU great has struggled with consistency in both his shooting and role on the team this season and is currently averaging 14.2 minutes and 7.5 points per game.
Last week Fredette logged 14, 18, 4 and 23 minutes against the Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers and the New York Knicks respectively. He averaged 6.0 points and shot 9-17 from the field and 3-6 from 3-point range.
His best work was during garbage time in a 120-81 loss to the Knicks where he scored 14 points on 6-8 shooting.
The Kings have struggled mightily and are currently 17-32 on the season after losing eight of their last 10 games. Fans are demanding change and trade speculation abounds for several players, including Fredette.
Anthony Riccobono of the International Business news believes that the Kings are overloaded at the point guard position and need to move some parts — specifically Fredette.
"The biggest reason for Fredette’s lack of playing time is the construction of the Kings roster," Riccobono writes. "Sacramento has a very crowded backcourt, with five guards who get more playing time then Fredette. The unbalanced nature of the team has contributed to their poor record, as Sacramento is 13 games under .500."
Riccobono points out that although Fredette averages just 7.5 points per game he's 25th in the entire NBA in adjusted scoring average per 48 minutes played.
So what role with Fredette play tonight against the Jazz? He's recently subbed in during the early stages of the second and fourth quarters, but pulled late in favor of guards Isaiah Thomas or Tyreke Evans to finish out.
The game tips off at 7 p.m. MST and can be seen live on Root Sports.
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Ranking the best draft picks in Utah Jazz...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 66
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 31
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28