Jimmer watch: Fredette returns to the state of Utah for second time this season
SALT LAKE CITY — Jimmer Fredette and the Sacramento Kings travel to Utah to take on the Utah Jazz for the second time this season. The former BYU great has struggled with consistency in both his shooting and role on the team this season and is currently averaging 14.2 minutes and 7.5 points per game.
Last week Fredette logged 14, 18, 4 and 23 minutes against the Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers and the New York Knicks respectively. He averaged 6.0 points and shot 9-17 from the field and 3-6 from 3-point range.
His best work was during garbage time in a 120-81 loss to the Knicks where he scored 14 points on 6-8 shooting.
The Kings have struggled mightily and are currently 17-32 on the season after losing eight of their last 10 games. Fans are demanding change and trade speculation abounds for several players, including Fredette.
Anthony Riccobono of the International Business news believes that the Kings are overloaded at the point guard position and need to move some parts — specifically Fredette.
"The biggest reason for Fredette’s lack of playing time is the construction of the Kings roster," Riccobono writes. "Sacramento has a very crowded backcourt, with five guards who get more playing time then Fredette. The unbalanced nature of the team has contributed to their poor record, as Sacramento is 13 games under .500."
Riccobono points out that although Fredette averages just 7.5 points per game he's 25th in the entire NBA in adjusted scoring average per 48 minutes played.
So what role with Fredette play tonight against the Jazz? He's recently subbed in during the early stages of the second and fourth quarters, but pulled late in favor of guards Isaiah Thomas or Tyreke Evans to finish out.
The game tips off at 7 p.m. MST and can be seen live on Root Sports.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 4: Ranking the...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Utah State pressing pause ahead of BYU game...
- Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with Heismans...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 164
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 113
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28