Chrysler commercials win ad Super Bowl with heart (+videos)
"God said, 'I need somebody strong enough to clear trees and heave bails, yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink-combed pullets, who will stop his mower for an hour to splint the broken leg of a meadow lark. It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight and not cut corners. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk and replenish the self-feeder and finish a hard week's work with a five-mile drive to church.
"Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh, and then reply, with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life 'doing what dad does.' So God made a farmer."
In its annual survey of consumers and ad executives, the Wall Street Journal reported this Chrysler ad as one of the most-liked of the big game.
"I got goose bumps; I was on the verge of crying," Tom Geary, a 60-year-old mechanical contractor from Aston, PA told The Wall Street Journal.
Social Media exploded as well with numerous reactions like these:
"That Dodge Ram ad made me yearn for my little cousin, who wants to be a farmer just like my uncle. True catharsis. Three in a row, Chrysler." — Erica (@elbush) February 4, 2013
"Loved that Dodge farmer ad. Chrysler is hitting the right note with their ads tonight. First Jeep, now Dodge. Well done." — Bennett Richardson (@bennettrich) February 4, 2013
"Paul Harvey was one of a kind. Brilliant use of "So God made a farmer." Great tribute to the American farmer. Wonderful ad." — Gary Sinise (@GarySinise) February 4, 2013
Chrysler borrowed the idea of a series of beautifully shot still photos over the Harvey voiceover from a YouTube video posted by Farms.com in 2011, which had more than 1 million views before the Dodge Ram ad ran.
Chrysler plans to donate as much as $1 million dollars to the Future Farmers of America based on views and shares of the "So God Made a Farmer" ad.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- The 20 best family-friendly movies of 2014
- These simple changes can make your family so...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Rosie is more than just a dog to a Spanish...
- From Vocal Point to Alex Boye: Top 10 'Clean...
- Most kids no longer live in 'traditional'...
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five...
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man... 8
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- Did Disney succeed in creating a... 4
- Most kids no longer live in... 4
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4... 3
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five... 2
- 5 things that are changed (or added) in... 1
- Chris Hicks: More than ever, 2014 was a... 1