Mormon missionary killed after being hit by truck in Oklahoma
WOODWARD, Okla. — A 22-year-old woman serving a mission for the LDS Church was killed Friday after she was hit by a truck while on her bicycle.
Alesa Renee Smith, 22, of Benton, Ark., was riding her bike around 8:30 p.m. when she was struck by a truck from behind, according to a statement released by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Smith and her companion were riding single file along the road when she was hit.
Smith died at the scene. Her mission companion was not injured.
The women were serving in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Mission.
"The entire church grieves at (Smith's) passing and we pray for her family and friends at this difficult time," the statement reads.
According to an article in The Oklahoman, Smith had been in Oklahoma for 10 months and she had served in several cities before recently transferring to Woodward.
“She is a lovely, kind young woman and was loved by everyone who knows her,” Mission President Nolan Taylor told the newspaper. “A lot of folks here were blessed to get to know her.”
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 10
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8