The state of Utah was well-represented in Super Bowl XLVII with seven players with local ties taking part. Several of them made key contributions in helping the Baltimore Ravens secure a 34-31 victory.
Dennis Pitta — Baltimore Ravens (BYU): The former Cougar tight end had four receptions for 26 yards, including a 1-yard touchdown reception midway through the second quarter that gave the Ravens a 14-3 lead.
Paul Kruger — Baltimore Ravens (Utah/Timpanogos High): Kruger was used primarily in passing situations and contributed three tackles and one tackle-for-loss. He also had two sacks, including one during a third and goal situation that forced the 49ers to settle for a field goal in the first half.
Haloti Ngata — Baltimore Ravens (Highland High): Ngata had just two tackles and was forced to leave the game early in the third quarter with a sprained knee.
Ma'ake Kemoeatu — Baltimore Ravens (Utah): Kemoeatu had just one tackle, but played well as the Ravens' starting nose tackle.
Will Tukuafu — San Francisco 49ers (East High): Tukuafu did not record a stat, but was used several times at fullback during short-yardage situations.
Alex Smith — San Francisco 49ers (Utah): Smith did not play as Collin Kaepernick's backup.
David Reed -- Baltimore Raves (Utah): Reed was listed on the Super Bowl roster, but did not record a stat in the game
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30