The state of Utah was well-represented in Super Bowl XLVII with seven players with local ties taking part. Several of them made key contributions in helping the Baltimore Ravens secure a 34-31 victory.
Dennis Pitta — Baltimore Ravens (BYU): The former Cougar tight end had four receptions for 26 yards, including a 1-yard touchdown reception midway through the second quarter that gave the Ravens a 14-3 lead.
Paul Kruger — Baltimore Ravens (Utah/Timpanogos High): Kruger was used primarily in passing situations and contributed three tackles and one tackle-for-loss. He also had two sacks, including one during a third and goal situation that forced the 49ers to settle for a field goal in the first half.
Haloti Ngata — Baltimore Ravens (Highland High): Ngata had just two tackles and was forced to leave the game early in the third quarter with a sprained knee.
Ma'ake Kemoeatu — Baltimore Ravens (Utah): Kemoeatu had just one tackle, but played well as the Ravens' starting nose tackle.
Will Tukuafu — San Francisco 49ers (East High): Tukuafu did not record a stat, but was used several times at fullback during short-yardage situations.
Alex Smith — San Francisco 49ers (Utah): Smith did not play as Collin Kaepernick's backup.
David Reed -- Baltimore Raves (Utah): Reed was listed on the Super Bowl roster, but did not record a stat in the game
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30