BYU basketball notebook: Josh Sharp shines off the bench in BYU win over Santa Clara
PROVO — BYU sophomore forward Josh Sharp had started 11 consecutive games before Saturday night's contest against Santa Clara.
Sharp began the game on the bench, but he shined in his role coming off it.
Guard Anson Winder started in Sharp's place — but when Sharp entered the game early in the first half, he made an immediate impact. In 11 minutes of action, Sharp scored 12 points and grabbed four rebounds.
For the game, Sharp scored 14 points and pulled down six rebounds, including four offensive boards, in the Cougars' 96-79 victory over the Broncos.
"Josh was terrific off the bench, my goodness," said coach Dave Rose. "He gave us a huge lift in the first half. It's been awhile since we've seen him offensive rebound like that. That was good to see."
"Josh is an energy guy," said forward Brandon Davies. "He gives us all energy when he's in there flying around, grabbing boards that no one should be able to get. He works hard every day in practice and it shows in the games. He definitely gives us a lift every time he's in there. He's getting better and he's scoring the ball really well."
Sharp started the second half as he helped BYU outscore Santa Clara 49-33 over the final 20 minutes.
For Winder, it marked his first start of the season. He played a total of 12 minutes and did not score.
HAPPY 25TH: Senior guard Brock Zylstra celebrated his 25th birthday Saturday by scoring eight points and pulling down a season-high eight rebounds. He made 3 of 4 shots, including a 3-pointer. He also tallied three assists and two steals.
NOTES: After wearing a blue headband last Thursday against Pepperdine, Davies sported a white headband Saturday. ... The headband covers the bandage that protects the eight stitches he received in practice last Wednesday. Davies has recorded three consecutive double-doubles. The 96 points BYU scored Saturday were the most it has ever scored in West Coast Conference play. The Cougars' previous high was 95 — last season against Santa Clara.
- BYU looking to make a big splash at Maui...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment, commits...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU looking for strong finish in intriguing...
- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham says Utes didn't...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 154
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 71
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 40
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 27
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 22