BYU basketball notebook: Josh Sharp shines off the bench in BYU win over Santa Clara
PROVO — BYU sophomore forward Josh Sharp had started 11 consecutive games before Saturday night's contest against Santa Clara.
Sharp began the game on the bench, but he shined in his role coming off it.
Guard Anson Winder started in Sharp's place — but when Sharp entered the game early in the first half, he made an immediate impact. In 11 minutes of action, Sharp scored 12 points and grabbed four rebounds.
For the game, Sharp scored 14 points and pulled down six rebounds, including four offensive boards, in the Cougars' 96-79 victory over the Broncos.
"Josh was terrific off the bench, my goodness," said coach Dave Rose. "He gave us a huge lift in the first half. It's been awhile since we've seen him offensive rebound like that. That was good to see."
"Josh is an energy guy," said forward Brandon Davies. "He gives us all energy when he's in there flying around, grabbing boards that no one should be able to get. He works hard every day in practice and it shows in the games. He definitely gives us a lift every time he's in there. He's getting better and he's scoring the ball really well."
Sharp started the second half as he helped BYU outscore Santa Clara 49-33 over the final 20 minutes.
For Winder, it marked his first start of the season. He played a total of 12 minutes and did not score.
HAPPY 25TH: Senior guard Brock Zylstra celebrated his 25th birthday Saturday by scoring eight points and pulling down a season-high eight rebounds. He made 3 of 4 shots, including a 3-pointer. He also tallied three assists and two steals.
NOTES: After wearing a blue headband last Thursday against Pepperdine, Davies sported a white headband Saturday. ... The headband covers the bandage that protects the eight stitches he received in practice last Wednesday. Davies has recorded three consecutive double-doubles. The 96 points BYU scored Saturday were the most it has ever scored in West Coast Conference play. The Cougars' previous high was 95 — last season against Santa Clara.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 63
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 41
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34