A little time on the road appears to be just what the doctor ordered for Utah State's basketball team. The Aggies completed a two-game road sweep by posting a 68-46 victory over Seattle at Key Arena on Saturday.
The win moves USU back into the thick of things in a tight upper half of the Western Athletic Conference. Utah State sits in fourth place at 7-4 in conference play and is behind New Mexico State and Denver, who are tied for second place at 9-2.
After a back-and-forth first few minutes Saturday, the Aggies moved ahead 11-10 on a TeNale Roland 3-point basket to start a 12-3 run that put the Aggies ahead for good. USU would eventually lead by as many as 24 points as the Ags methodically built on their 30-19 halftime advantage during the second half.
Offensively, USU got a balanced effort across the board with all eight players scoring at least a basket.
Jarred Shaw led with 16 points; Spencer Butterfield had 11; and Marcel Davis had 11 points. Marvin Jean had five points, four steals, four assists and four rebounds in an all-around effort.
Coming off the bench Roland chipped in with a career-high 12 points while Jordan Stone and Matt Lopez produced effective defensive minutes. Overall the Aggies shot an efficient 47 percent while going 7 for 17 from 3-point range.
While the offense was balanced, the renewed effort on defense was once again noticeable for Utah State. Seattle shot just 31 percent from the field and an ice cold 2 for 20 from beyond the arc. Forward Chad Rasmussen led the Redhawks with 10 points and was the only Seattle player to hit double figures in points.
The Aggies nearly doubled up the Redhawks on the glass, winning the rebound battle 43-22. Ben Clifford had 10 rebounds, while the 6-foot-3 Butterfield collected his fourth straight double-double with 11 rebounds.
The shorthanded Aggies will take Monday off to rest up before getting back to practice Tuesday. USU next takes the floor Friday night at San Jose State.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 48
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 41
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33