MURRAY — A man who police believe was high on bath salts led law enforcers on a chase in an RV from Davis County to the 5300 South off-ramp of I-15 Saturday.
The incident began about 6:15 p.m. when the Davis County Sheriff's Office received several calls from motorists about an RV unable to stay in its lane and swerving recklessly on I-15, said Sgt. Todd Taylor.
A deputy found the vehicle but was unable to get the driver to pull over. Speeds were between 50 and 70 mph as the deputy followed, but the driver continued to weave in and out of lanes. By the time the driver took the 5300 South off-ramp in Salt Lake County, the Utah Highway Patrol, Murray Police Department, Unified Fire Authority and Metro Gang Unit had jointed the pursuit.
At the bottom of the off-ramp, the RV came to a stop at a red light. That's when law enforcers tried to box the RV in and remove the driver from the vehicle, Taylor said. As they did so, the RV rolled forward and bumped another car. No one was injured, he said.
A police K9 and a Taser were both used to apprehend the driver, who continued to fight with officers. As he was fighting, Taylor said he "wasn't making a lot of sense," saying he was Jesus and making other religious comments.
Inside the RV, bath salts were found, Taylor said.
Michael Webb, 27, was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail. The RV had an Idaho license plate that did not belong to that vehicle, Taylor said. As of Saturday night, investigators had not been able to determine who owned the motor home.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 40
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 24
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 21
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17