MURRAY — A man who police believe was high on bath salts led law enforcers on a chase in an RV from Davis County to the 5300 South off-ramp of I-15 Saturday.
The incident began about 6:15 p.m. when the Davis County Sheriff's Office received several calls from motorists about an RV unable to stay in its lane and swerving recklessly on I-15, said Sgt. Todd Taylor.
A deputy found the vehicle but was unable to get the driver to pull over. Speeds were between 50 and 70 mph as the deputy followed, but the driver continued to weave in and out of lanes. By the time the driver took the 5300 South off-ramp in Salt Lake County, the Utah Highway Patrol, Murray Police Department, Unified Fire Authority and Metro Gang Unit had jointed the pursuit.
At the bottom of the off-ramp, the RV came to a stop at a red light. That's when law enforcers tried to box the RV in and remove the driver from the vehicle, Taylor said. As they did so, the RV rolled forward and bumped another car. No one was injured, he said.
A police K9 and a Taser were both used to apprehend the driver, who continued to fight with officers. As he was fighting, Taylor said he "wasn't making a lot of sense," saying he was Jesus and making other religious comments.
Inside the RV, bath salts were found, Taylor said.
Michael Webb, 27, was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail. The RV had an Idaho license plate that did not belong to that vehicle, Taylor said. As of Saturday night, investigators had not been able to determine who owned the motor home.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10