BYU basketball: Cougars turn up the heat in second half, beat Santa Clara 96-79
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Leading by only a point at halftime, BYU managed to turn up the heat in the second half and emerge with a 96-79 win over the Santa Clara Broncos on Saturday.
Santa Clara suffered a bout of cold shooting and soft defense during the second half. It watched BYU's lead climb up to as many as 23 points.
Matt Carlino led the Cougars in scoring with 28 points despite suffering through a first-half injury. Early in the game, Carlino was hit in the face while driving to the basket and had to leave briefly to take care of a cut on his right eyebrow. Although he played both halves of the game, he most likely will need stitches.
Santa Clara struggled offensively and shot just 38 percent from the field. The Broncos had a big showing from senior guard Kevin Foster, who finished with 18 points and nine assists.
Getting to the basket was not a problem for the Cougars against Santa Clara. The Cougars racked up 50 points in the paint.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Dallin Bachynski delivers...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 67
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21