BYU men's basketball: Cougars hold narrow lead over Santa Clara at halftime, 47-46
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
On average, Santa Clara only gives up 52 points a game. It already has given up 47 points to BYU, but it only trails the Cougars by one at halftime, 47-46.
The Cougars were very aggressive on the offensive end in the first half and were able to get inside for easy baskets.
Josh Sharp, Tyler Haws and Matt Carlino each scored 12 first-half points for BYU. Carlino was hit in the face with about eight minutes remaining in the half and went to the locker room to stop the bleeding. He is expected to have his eye stitched up during the break.
Santa Clara shot well from beyond the arc, making 7 of 12 3-pointers. The Broncos are led by starting guard Raymond Cowels III, who finished the half with 13 points and three rebounds.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20