BYU men's basketball: Cougars hold narrow lead over Santa Clara at halftime, 47-46
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
On average, Santa Clara only gives up 52 points a game. It already has given up 47 points to BYU, but it only trails the Cougars by one at halftime, 47-46.
The Cougars were very aggressive on the offensive end in the first half and were able to get inside for easy baskets.
Josh Sharp, Tyler Haws and Matt Carlino each scored 12 first-half points for BYU. Carlino was hit in the face with about eight minutes remaining in the half and went to the locker room to stop the bleeding. He is expected to have his eye stitched up during the break.
Santa Clara shot well from beyond the arc, making 7 of 12 3-pointers. The Broncos are led by starting guard Raymond Cowels III, who finished the half with 13 points and three rebounds.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 30
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22