High school boys basketball: Bingham takes down Pleasant Grove
PLEASANT GROVE — Bingham star center Brandon Morley carried the load against Pleasant Grove on Friday.
Boy did he carry it well.
The 7-foot center scored 25 points for the Miners en route to a 71-60 Bingham win over the Vikings.
"When you have a resource like Brandon Morley, our 7-foot senior center, he can cause big problems for opposing teams." Bingham assistant coach Kent Smith said of his team's main weapon. "If they double team him, he is willing to dish the ball to the open man. He is quicker than a lot of defenders and he can power past most players."
He did alot of that on Friday.
"This was one of my better games, said Morley. "We wanted to pound the ball inside, and we did that all night.
"PG is a tough team, especially their defensive post," he added.
The Miners led by as many as 13 points at the end of the third period and never trailed at any point. Morley and Dalton Schultz both fouled out during the fourth period, but by then, the damage had been done and the Vikings could not recover.
"This win squares us up in region and we're feeling confidant moving forward to playing in the playoffs," said Smith.
The Miners now have a 3-3 record in region play and a 12-7 record overall. They next head into a matchup with Lehi at home on Feb. 5. Bingham is currently tied with Pleasant Grove in third place in Region 4.
With two losses in a row after winning two overtime games in a row, the Vikings now have a 3-3 record in region play with a 13-6 record overall. They will face Lone Peak next, on the road.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Players, coaches relish opportunity to play...
- Lone Peak and Davis take an early lead in tennis
- High school football: Dixie in the mix to...
- Knights, Howe survive scares to win state
- Miners on top of their game early at boys...
- High school girls soccer: Park City defeats...
- High school football: Parry's Power... 7
- High school football: Fremont, Cyprus,... 1
- High school baseball: Jayhawks take aim... 1
- State tennis tournaments begin for 3A,... 1
- Players, coaches relish opportunity to... 1
- Knights, Howe survive scares to win state 1
- Rasmussen captures elusive state title,... 1
- Lone Peak and Davis take an early lead... 1