High school boys basketball: Bingham takes down Pleasant Grove
PLEASANT GROVE — Bingham star center Brandon Morley carried the load against Pleasant Grove on Friday.
Boy did he carry it well.
The 7-foot center scored 25 points for the Miners en route to a 71-60 Bingham win over the Vikings.
"When you have a resource like Brandon Morley, our 7-foot senior center, he can cause big problems for opposing teams." Bingham assistant coach Kent Smith said of his team's main weapon. "If they double team him, he is willing to dish the ball to the open man. He is quicker than a lot of defenders and he can power past most players."
He did alot of that on Friday.
"This was one of my better games, said Morley. "We wanted to pound the ball inside, and we did that all night.
"PG is a tough team, especially their defensive post," he added.
The Miners led by as many as 13 points at the end of the third period and never trailed at any point. Morley and Dalton Schultz both fouled out during the fourth period, but by then, the damage had been done and the Vikings could not recover.
"This win squares us up in region and we're feeling confidant moving forward to playing in the playoffs," said Smith.
The Miners now have a 3-3 record in region play and a 12-7 record overall. They next head into a matchup with Lehi at home on Feb. 5. Bingham is currently tied with Pleasant Grove in third place in Region 4.
With two losses in a row after winning two overtime games in a row, the Vikings now have a 3-3 record in region play with a 13-6 record overall. They will face Lone Peak next, on the road.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 76
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 67
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 67
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 67
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 50
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 37
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 29
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 20