High school boys basketball: Bingham bowls over Pleasant Grove, 71-60
PLEASANT GROVE — Bingham used superior size in the low post and a key third-quarter run to overwhelm Pleasant Grove 71-60 Friday night.
Brandon Morley led the Miners with a game-high 25 points. The 7-foot center was particularly effective midway through the third quarter when Bingham put together a 14-2 run to push its lead to 48-32.
Morley helped alter more than a few shots on defense and forced the Vikings to become a perimeter-oriented offense. At the other end, he was able to capitalize on numerous second-chance opportunities and got good position inside. Those two things led to lots of easy layups.
"It was a good game for us and it's important to get a region win on the road against a good team like Pleasant Grove," Morley said. "I played well, but it was really a team effort. We needed everybody."
Bingham never trailed and set the tone early with a 12-4 run to start the game. It led 31-26 at the half.
"That was big for us to get an early lead. That's important to do in any game, but especially on the road," Morley said. "Pleasant Grove is a tough team and they wouldn't go away."
The Miners appeared on the brink of blowing the game wide open several times throughout the first half, but the Vikings wouldn't go away.
At halftime Bingham coach Mark Dubach implored his players to play together as a team and they responded.
"Even before the game we had a meeting where coach talked about loyalty and being loyal — it's one of our mottos — and we figured out some stuff tonight," Morely said. "I think in the third quarter we just focused on playing together better and it worked out."
Bingham finished the third quarter ahead 50-37 and never let Pleasant Grove cut its lead to single digits throughout the final quarter.
With the win Bingham improves to 12-7 on the year and 3-3 in Region 4 play. It will next take on Lehi at home.
Pleasant Grove drops to 3-3 in region play and will next travel to take on Lone Peak.
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 61
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 55
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31