The Utah Jazz defeat the Portland Trail Blazers, 86-77
Despite Damian Lillard's monstrous second half, the Utah Jazz managed to get their seventh home win in their last eight home games, defeating Portland at home, 86-77.
Lillard, who had scored a mere six points in the first half on 3-of-10 shooting, brought a strong game in the second half. He finished the game with a game-high 26 points on 10-for-23 shooting. He also tallied three rebounds, five assists and four turnovers, and three of his made shots were 3-pointers.
Utah had four players in double figures, led by big man Al Jefferson, who landed a double-double for the night. He scored 21 points on 10-for-22 shooting. He also grabbed 10 rebounds, two assists and two blocked shots.
Randy Foye, Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll were the other Jazz players in double figures with 14, 15 and 13 points, respectively. As a team, the Jazz shot 43 percent from the field for the night, having cooled down considerably from a first half in which Utah shot 61 percent.
Foye made three 3-point baskets and was Utah's main threat from deep on the night. Earl Watson also made the only 3-point basket he attempted. The Jazz, however, went 4-for-15 — a mere 27 percent — from behind the 3-point line.
Besides Lillard, the Trail Blazers had two players in double figures: LeMarcus Alldredge and J.J. Hickson with 16 and 11 points, respectively.
This game was a homecoming of sorts for three former Jazz players and four players with Utah ties. Former Jazzmen Wesley Matthews and Ronnie Price both left the game with ankle injuries in the game, and former Jazzman Sacha Pavlovic did not play. Lillard is a former Weber State standout, and is considered among the leading candidates for this year's NBA Rookie of the Year.
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 85
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23