PROVO, Utah – BYU's Dakoda John set a personal record and took first in the men's high jump at the New Balance Invitational on Friday in New York.
John cleared a height of 7-00.50, which ties him with Eric Crow for 10th place on No. 19 BYU's all-time leader board for the event.
"Dakoda jumped extremely well today," head coach Mark Robison said. "It was the highlight of our day. As a team we did well, but not great. We hope tomorrow we can pick things up a bit."
John Glazier fared well in the long jump for BYU, taking 10th overall, jumping a distance of 22-10.00. Jonathan Ferguson also competed for the Cougars, finishing in 14th place with a mark of 21-09.50.
In the college 60-meter dash preliminaries, Jason Hinds took 13th place, but failed to qualify for the championship heat. He submitted a time of 7.11. Hinds also finished 17th in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.16.
Cade Lindahl took 18th in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.24. He failed to qualify for the championship heat, which will take place Saturday. In the 500-meter dash, a race not typically run in indoor competition, Isaac Robison finished in 25th place in 1:07:04.
The New Balance Invitational continues Saturday, highlighted for the Cougars by the men's pole vault. Visit Flotrack.org for live streaming and results of the events.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28