Man accused of holding wife, baby at gunpoint during five-hour standoff with police
KEARNS — A standoff lasting nearly five hours ended with a man in custody after police say he held his wife and baby at gunpoint in their Kearns home Friday.
Bryant Clifton, 27, was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, kidnapping and domestic violence in the presence of a child. Clifton gave himself up peacefully about 4:40 p.m. following about two hours of negotiations, police said.
Police received word about noon that a man with a firearm had barricaded himself inside his home and was threatening to harm himself and his family, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
SWAT teams responded to 5294 S. Heath Ave., and nearby Western Hills Elementary School was put on a precautionary lockdown. The children were allowed to leave the school with their parents or emergency contacts.
No one was injured in the incident.
According to a probable cause statement, Clifton had moved out of the basement apartment in December following a domestic disturbance incident. Clifton was arrested and booked into jail in Decemeber for misdemeanor warrants, and was released Jan. 22.
Thursday, Clifton and his wife got into an argument regarding a divorce and custody of their child, according to the probable cause statement. Clifton left the apartment and returned Friday morning, continuing the argument and threatening he had a gun and was going to kill his wife, the baby and then himself, according to police.
Clifton baricaded the door with a recliner and covered the window with a blanket. Police negotiators verified Clifton had a loaded handgun, and conviced him to let the woman and child leave. Clifton surrendered to police shortly after.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13