Man accused of holding wife, baby at gunpoint during five-hour standoff with police
KEARNS — A standoff lasting nearly five hours ended with a man in custody after police say he held his wife and baby at gunpoint in their Kearns home Friday.
Bryant Clifton, 27, was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, kidnapping and domestic violence in the presence of a child. Clifton gave himself up peacefully about 4:40 p.m. following about two hours of negotiations, police said.
Police received word about noon that a man with a firearm had barricaded himself inside his home and was threatening to harm himself and his family, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
SWAT teams responded to 5294 S. Heath Ave., and nearby Western Hills Elementary School was put on a precautionary lockdown. The children were allowed to leave the school with their parents or emergency contacts.
No one was injured in the incident.
According to a probable cause statement, Clifton had moved out of the basement apartment in December following a domestic disturbance incident. Clifton was arrested and booked into jail in Decemeber for misdemeanor warrants, and was released Jan. 22.
Thursday, Clifton and his wife got into an argument regarding a divorce and custody of their child, according to the probable cause statement. Clifton left the apartment and returned Friday morning, continuing the argument and threatening he had a gun and was going to kill his wife, the baby and then himself, according to police.
Clifton baricaded the door with a recliner and covered the window with a blanket. Police negotiators verified Clifton had a loaded handgun, and conviced him to let the woman and child leave. Clifton surrendered to police shortly after.
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15