Man accused of holding wife, baby at gunpoint during five-hour standoff with police
KEARNS — A standoff lasting nearly five hours ended with a man in custody after police say he held his wife and baby at gunpoint in their Kearns home Friday.
Bryant Clifton, 27, was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, kidnapping and domestic violence in the presence of a child. Clifton gave himself up peacefully about 4:40 p.m. following about two hours of negotiations, police said.
Police received word about noon that a man with a firearm had barricaded himself inside his home and was threatening to harm himself and his family, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
SWAT teams responded to 5294 S. Heath Ave., and nearby Western Hills Elementary School was put on a precautionary lockdown. The children were allowed to leave the school with their parents or emergency contacts.
No one was injured in the incident.
According to a probable cause statement, Clifton had moved out of the basement apartment in December following a domestic disturbance incident. Clifton was arrested and booked into jail in Decemeber for misdemeanor warrants, and was released Jan. 22.
Thursday, Clifton and his wife got into an argument regarding a divorce and custody of their child, according to the probable cause statement. Clifton left the apartment and returned Friday morning, continuing the argument and threatening he had a gun and was going to kill his wife, the baby and then himself, according to police.
Clifton baricaded the door with a recliner and covered the window with a blanket. Police negotiators verified Clifton had a loaded handgun, and conviced him to let the woman and child leave. Clifton surrendered to police shortly after.
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- Mother, former LDS seminary teacher creates...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Man dies in head-on collision after truck...
- ‘Jackie & Ryan’ showcases beauty...
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder Keith...
- Police identify man killed in I-80 rollover
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 76
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 70
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 23
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- 'A war on talent': Jobless rate at 3.6... 15
- Herriman residents upset rehab facility... 13
- Stolen identity: Congressman Jason... 12