“Sometimes people pour chemicals outside of that trench and it drains onto our computers, from the sixth floor to the fourth floor,” Miller said. “I run around warning everybody not to touch it. It's not water.”
The Wasatch fault is a parking lot away from the top-heavy, concrete science lab building, Wight said.
“The building would collapse under an earthquake,” he said.
“Should we even be using that building?” Sen. Kevin Van Tassell, R-Vernal, asked. “If everything's as bad as you show it there, I have some safety concerns.”
Alan Hall, chairman of the university's board of trustees, pledged $5 million to the project.
“I'm a venture capitalist and entrepreneur,” he said. “And I'm anxious to see that the building be built so we can continue to have students come out with the skills necessary to build Utah's economy.”
Hall told legislators that plans to bring in further donations are under way.
"You are all looking like candidates to me," he laughed.
Rep. Gage Froerer, R-Huntsville, said the committee has been impressed with community support for the project.
"One thing this committee has looked at (in determining who gets funding) is the level of community support," Froerer said. "The way I judge that is donations. In this case, the community has really put their money where their heart is. It's people like Mr. Hall that make these communities great and make these projects feasible."
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 28
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17