However, Winder fouled Pepperdine's Jordan Baker on a 3-point attempt with 1.3 seconds remaining. Baker made the first two free throws to cut BYU's lead to 63-61. After Baker missed the third attempt on purpose, Wave forward Moriba De Freitas nearly tipped the ball in. Had De Freitas been successful, it would have tied the game and sent it into overtime.
"We wanted them to contest that (3-point) shot," Rose explained. "We had been on our guys all night long to contest those 3's. In that situation, the foul is the one thing that gave them a chance. We'll look at Anson played so hard and so well and he gave us such a huge lift. Those are things we'll try to correct a little bit."
Senior forward Brandon Davies had one of his best games of the season, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds — marking his second straight double-double.
Davies received eight stitches Wednesday after getting caught by an inadvertent elbow by teammate Ian Harward during practice. He sported a blue headband Thursday to cover up the bandage above his right eye.
"Brandon kind of carried us offensively in both halves," Rose said. "He kept us in the game, and the rest of the guys came through."
Santa Clara (17-6, 5-3) at BYU (17-6, 7-2)
7 p.m. MST
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 69
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26