Taking the audience on a musical tour through Italy is what the Utah Symphony plans to do during its performance of Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 4 "Italian" on Feb. 8 and 9 at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
Other performances include Stravinsky's Concerto in D major for Violin and Orchestra featuring well-known violinist Baiba Skride and Edward Elgar's "In The South," according to a news release.
Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 4 portrays an Italian summer's day full of sunshine. Stravinsky's Concerto in D major reveals what he calls a "passport chord." Elgar's work takes listeners through the Italian town of Alassio, where he received his inspiration, according to the news release.
Special guest Baiba Skride has appeared with top orchestras such as the Sinfonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunk, Philhermonia Orchestra and U.S. orchestras in Cincinnati, Houston and Philadelphia.
Music director Thierry Fischer and vice president of artistic planning Toby Tolokan will hold a pre-concert information session both nights on the orchestra level of Abravanel Hall. The information session is free of charge.
Single tickets for the performances range from $18 to $53. They can be purchased by calling 801-355-ARTS, in person at the Abravanel Hall ticket office (123 W. South Temple) or online at www.utahsymphony.org. All ticket prices and availability are subject to change, and ticket prices will increased by $5 when purchased on the day of the performance.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16