Taking the audience on a musical tour through Italy is what the Utah Symphony plans to do during its performance of Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 4 "Italian" on Feb. 8 and 9 at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
Other performances include Stravinsky's Concerto in D major for Violin and Orchestra featuring well-known violinist Baiba Skride and Edward Elgar's "In The South," according to a news release.
Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 4 portrays an Italian summer's day full of sunshine. Stravinsky's Concerto in D major reveals what he calls a "passport chord." Elgar's work takes listeners through the Italian town of Alassio, where he received his inspiration, according to the news release.
Special guest Baiba Skride has appeared with top orchestras such as the Sinfonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunk, Philhermonia Orchestra and U.S. orchestras in Cincinnati, Houston and Philadelphia.
Music director Thierry Fischer and vice president of artistic planning Toby Tolokan will hold a pre-concert information session both nights on the orchestra level of Abravanel Hall. The information session is free of charge.
Single tickets for the performances range from $18 to $53. They can be purchased by calling 801-355-ARTS, in person at the Abravanel Hall ticket office (123 W. South Temple) or online at www.utahsymphony.org. All ticket prices and availability are subject to change, and ticket prices will increased by $5 when purchased on the day of the performance.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Charges: Man set fire to sister's Salt Lake...
- How you can be trained to recognize signs of...
- Charges: Group of 3 held man and woman...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 14
- National conservative group backs... 14