If you want really delicious and easy recipes, look no further than your neighborhood fire station. These are people who know how to make hearty and tasty meals that are quick and very satisfying. I was given the assignment when I was a reporter to do stories on firehouse recipes and spend time interviewing these men about cooking. I know what you’re thinking, and yes, it was a terrible burden, but I got through it.
One of my favorite recipes from my firehouse visits is a taco salad that is spicy but with a tangy twist. When I interviewed the firefighters about this salad, they all said it was one of their favorites, and while the recipe made a large amount, there wasn’t an ounce left.
The recipe is also versatile. You can add ingredients that you like and take away those that you don’t. But the one thing that makes this salad extra special is how all the tastes and textures are mixed together and topped with French dressing to give it a unique and incredible combination of flavors.
Belle’s Tangy Taco Salad
1 pound ground beef
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups lettuce, coarsely chopped
2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
¼ to ½ cup French dressing
Brown ground beef and drain off excess grease. Add taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water and mix well. Cook for about 2 minutes, and then set aside to cool slightly.
In a very large bowl, combine the beans, olives, tomatoes, corn, cheese, lettuce and chips. Pour the ground beef over top and mix well. Add dressing, stir and serve immediately.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- The Clean Cut: 12-year-old boy writes,...
- The Clean Cut: Children identify mom without...
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too dangerous...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: When kids get in the...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 35
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 17
- Does being married bring you closer to... 7
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- This couple lost their wedding location... 2
- Does an American child really go... 2