Pacesetters and title-game starters: Utah ties to the Super Bowl
Courtesy Tom Holmoe
From head coaches to college athletes to prep stars, the state of Utah has a variety of ties to the NFL's premier game — the Super Bowl.
There will be a chance for others to make their mark, as seven players with ties to the Beehive State are on the rosters of this year's Super Bowl participants: the Ravens and the 49ers.
But whether it was former BYU quarterbacks Steve Young and Jim McMahon guiding their teams to victory, or an Aggie and a Ute helping the Packers secure wins in the first two Super Bowls, the state of Utah has already enjoyed several moments in the NFL's championship game.
For those players fortunate enough to have been part of a Super Bowl-bound team, especially a title-winning team, it's an experience that sticks with them.
"Every guy in here made a commitment," Young told his teammates in the locker room after he and the 49ers won Super Bowl XXIX. "You know you did. There were times when it was dark. It was really dark. And we turned back into each other's faces and committed to each other. You knew we had to do it this way.
"This is the greatest feeling in the world, is it not? ... I share this with every one of you guys. Everyone in this room made a commitment, and we're there. And no one can ever, ever take it away from us. Ever!"
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: brandonljudd
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 12