Toby Talbot, AP
The groundhog has the most expensive shadow, according to a Go Banking Rates article.
Since six weeks is 12 percent of the total year, that’s an additional 12 percent on your heating bill. Preparing your home for winter can save a surprising amount, said Nicholas Pell. Here are some energy saving tips.
Turn down the heat
Not breaking news, but by turning the thermostat down 10 to 15 degrees during the night, it can save you 15 percent the entire year on the heating bill.
Energy providers vary costs by location, so there isn’t a way to say one company has the best policy. Shop around to find the better rates and purchase fixed-rate energy services.
Prepare your home
Weather-proofing your home includes caulking around windows and doors, weather stripping older windows, insulating the attic, insulating exposed pipes, getting a programmable thermostat so the heat is lowered while at work, sealing door gaps, keeping furniture away from climate control elements and installing storm doors and keeping them closed.
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of going...
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 6
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 3