In some ways, it was a similar game to the one earlier this month in Provo. BYU trailed by five at halftime, but stormed back by outscoring Pepperdine, 46-16, in the second half.
Cougar forward Brandon Davies recorded a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Davies, who received eight stitches after suffering an injury at practice Wednesday, wore a headband over the bandage above his right eyebrow.
Carlino finished with 12 points and four assists.
In the first half, Pepperdine guard Nikolas Skouen, who entered the game averaging seven points per game, skewered BYU, scoring 13 of Pepperdine's first 15 points, including three 3-pointers. At that point, he had outscored BYU's entire team by one.
Davies scored 12 first-half points, hitting 6 of 12 shots from the floor. The rest of the Cougars went 4 for 20.
Rose played a few different lineups in the first half, with starters Carlino and Josh Sharp playing just 11 minutes and five minutes, respectively.
Meanwhile, seldom-used Bronson Kaufusi and Cory Calvert each saw five minutes of action.
At halftime, the Waves held a 31-20 lead. It marked the lowest-scoring half of the season for BYU. The Cougars shot just 31 percent in the first half, including 0 for 9 from 3-point territory.
After a 3-pointer by Skouen early in the second half, Pepperdine seized its largest lead, 34-22. At that point, the Cougars started to come alive, going on an 14-4 run, fueled by two 3-pointers by Haws and one by Winder. Unfortunately for BYU, Davies picked up his third personal foul during that stretch, at the 16:56 mark of the second half.
The Cougars battled back to tie the game a couple of times, and a Haws jumper gave BYU its first lead with a little more than six minutes remaining, 49-48, since it was up 8-7 after a Haws jumper early in the game.
The Cougars host Santa Clara on Saturday.
NOTES: Announced attendance was 1,824. ... Davis scored 17 points for Pepperdine while Baker added 12. Skouen finished with 16 points.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 38
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27